Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Fading Mason Jars

Alright so here's the craft I've been meaning to share with you.


To make these you will need the following supplies:

  1. a jar
  2. paint: 1 color of your choice and 1 white (I used acrylic paint but it might be better using paint that will stay on the glass forever)
  3. paintbrushes
  4. skinny tape (I used bingo tape thanks to my boyfriends mom who saved a bunch for me)
  5. and scissors 

1: The first part is time consuming but its totally worth it! I promise! Your going to have to cut LOTS and LOTS of little pieces of tape between 1-2 inches long. (if your jar is big you'll have to cut longer pieces)


2. Start by putting the tape on the jar forming a zig-zag pattern one piece at a time. I found it easier to stack one on top of the other so at the end you can peel it all off at one time. On this jar I only did two rows, but on my others I did three rows of the pattern spaced out from each other giving me room to paint. 
(Personally I think it looks better with three rows because you can see the color fading a lot easier)



At the bottom I wrapped one piece of tape around the entire jar. You could very easily, instead of a straight line, zig-zag some more but I preferred a nice clean line to finish it off.

3. Alright so here come's the explaining since I didn't take any pictures for this part. (Sorry in advance)
I started out with pouring quite a lot of white paint in my little paint cup then I mixed a few drops of blue (or whatever color of your choice) in the white paint. Mix that up and you should end up with a nice light color.
I painted the first space the light shade then when I was finished I added more drops of blue into the paint. Mix it up until you get a shade darker from your first section.
Paint the next section with that shade, touch it up if you need to.
When finished mix more blue into the paint for another shade darker and paint the following section.

 It should look like this when your finished.

4. When your finished painting let the jar sit over night to dry. When its completely dry you can now peel off all the tape. Its easier to remove the tape one row at a time very slowly.

And this is what your end result should look like! 

I made both a blue and purple jar. I use one for all my pens and pencils and the other I'll be saving for a birthday gift. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Have a great week!



01 02 03
04 Pin It 05 06
07 08 17 18

No comments:

Post a Comment